The making of a successful business has to be the dynamic between the team and the customers. Being a great entrepreneur, a fantastic sales person or brilliant businessman/woman can only get you so far, once your business starts to expand and grow you need a team that will help you to take it to the next level.
Getting The Most From Your Team
Staffing, as we all know, can be one of the biggest headaches for any business and particularly in retail which is often not seen as a first choice career option. The aim is to always hold on to the good people and inspire them to want to build a career within your business.
At the Dressing Room, my team has grown from 3 to 12 in 7 years. Finding the right people to join the team is always the most challenging part, but once we get the right people on board they tend to be in it for the long haul.
10 Levels To Guide The Team
We have a strong staff development programme of 10 levels to guide the team from the very basics right through to senior management skills. Used in conjunction with government NVQ training, the staff development plan encourages the team to grow and develop within the business. It is important that each individual can see a future within the business, and that they understand what they need to achieve to get there.
Top tips for engaging the team and encouraging excellent performance include:
- Constant communication with goals and targets are key to making this work.
- Annual appraisals and six monthly performance reviews help to address training needs and development potential. Although time consuming, these are invaluable for understanding the team.
- Wherever possible I ensure that all promotions are organic, working on people’s strengths and weaknesses to get them to the level required to move onwards and upwards.
- Reviews are a great way to find out how you are performing as an employer as well – is there anything else you could be doing to motivate, lead and inspire your team?
- Hold regular informal training meetings as well to get your team up to date with product training. We have breakfast styling training sessions every other weekend to ensure that the whole team is up to date on current looks and how to style the product for different customer types.
- Staff meetings are also held after hours twice a season. These give an in-depth insight into how we are performing, keeping the team focussed on our business goals & targets.
- Get your team to help put together sections of the training sessions. Choose different topics for individuals to research and present. Also, give the team certain tasks that they need to prepare in advance of the session – mood boards for the new season, preparation for a product quiz – anything to get them involved and participating.
All of these take time and energy, but they do ensure that you and your team are working towards the same goals. It takes along time to find the right people for your team, so you may as well invest in them for the long term.
Our business values are Honest, Friendly, Progressive, Driven, Passionate and we try to apply this to everything we do.
Blog Author – Deryane Tadd – Biography
Deryane Tadd, former buyer and Retail Expert, is the owner of the Multi Drapers Award Winning Independent store and website, the dressing Room. Having started her career in retail and rapidly progressing to Store Manager and Area Manager for High Street stores such as LK Bennett, Warehouse and French Connection, Deryane then spent 7 years running the buying and Operations for French Connection Franchises. In 2005, Deryane opened the dressing Room boutique in St Albans, targeting fashion conscious 30 something’s. The dressing Room has expanded 3 times in 6 years and is constantly evolving.
The Dressing Room is the Proud winner of 5 coveted National Drapers Fashion awards. Best New Business 2006. Independent Womenswear Retailer of the Year 2009. Independent Womenswear Retailer of the Year 2011. Overall Independent Retailer of the Year 2011. Best Accessories Offer (independent & Multiple) @ The Drapers Footwear & Accessory Awards 2012.
The Dressing Room has also been listed in the Sunday Telegraph Top 50 Boutiques outside London.
Deryane was named in the 2011 POWER LIST of the 100 most influential people in the Fashion Industry. Described as a super-stylish blonde with razor sharp business skills, a keen eye for product and an exceptional understanding of her customer, Deryane is one of the most respected independent store owners in the industry. The Dressing Room is the store that every brand wants to get in to.
Well respected in the Industry, Deryane has joined a panel of industry big hitters as a Judge at the Prestigious Drapers Awards and the Paypal Etail Awards. Experts in the Fashion industry are chosen to vote on who are the leading retailers and etailers of the moment.
Deryane also writes a regular freelance column for Drapers giving an insight into the world of independent retail. Deryane is a regular key speaker at the UK’s leading Fashion Trade show – Pure London, and has taken to the stage as a Guest Speaker at various Emap conferences giving advice and help to fellow retailers.
The Dressing Room has been featured in various publications including The Mail on Sunday’s You magazine, Easy Living magazine, Red Magazine, 3rd Floor magazine, Drapers, WWB, Style, The Telegraph Stella magazine.
THE DRESSING ROOM. 6-8 HIGH STREET, ST ALBANS, HERTS, AL3 4EL.
Tel: 01727 853577. email: firstname.lastname@example.org