The popularity of reusable shopping bags has increased in recent years due to concerns about plastic bags and the environment. This change in consumer attitudes has created a great opportunity for retailers. A reusable bag is a great promotional tool and a well-designed shopping bag can bring a brand to life.
8 Bag Benefits for Independent Retailers:
1. Reward customer loyalty: Reusable bags can be used to reward loyal and high spending customers. Everyone loves a free gift!
2. Create a stream of revenue: Bags can be sold at point of purchase, creating another line of income. Supermarkets and other retailers already do this to great effect.
3. Turn your customers into brand advocates: Your customers will want the bag in the first place, giving them a bag you will help them become brand advocates.
4. Bags are like mini-billboards: A shopping bag acts as a low cost, moving advertisement. The better the bag design, the more the bag will be used. In turn, this will lead to your marketing messages being seen over and over again.
5. Welcome advertising: A shopping bag provides a welcome, non aggressive form of adverting.
6. Effective advertising: Contrary to other common advertising aids such as newspaper ads or leaflets, there are few risks of a promotional bag going directly in the bin. You can still incorporate website, logos and even QR codes on the design.
7. A tangible product: A branded store bag provides a tangible representation of your store and brand
8. Draw attention to your business: Beautiful, funny or colourful bags draw people’s attention and arouse their curiosity – create bag envy!
If the shopping bag looks good, then customers will be keen to wear it on their arm. In fact, they can be such popular items that customers will actively seek them out.
Taking a reusable bag to the supermarket has become a habit for many shoppers. However not everyone wants to take one of the big retailers branded bags each time, so give them an alternative! Unique, interesting bags will catch other shoppers’ attention while waiting in a queue.
We have seen non-supermarket retailers pick up on the trend – Sports Direct, Desigual, Timberland and Pets at Home to name a few. You don’t need to be a big retailer to benefit. One thing all of our customers have in common is that they shop!
It isn’t only the super market run where customers reuse bags – they are also perfect for sports, beach and picnic bags too. So, design a great bag which customers will want to use and your shop will be advertised each time it’s reused.
I am sure you can think of even more reasons why a reusable bag could work for you. We’d love to hear how reusable shopping bags work for your business promotions.
If you want to find out how easy it is to create a made to order branded bag for your store, please visit our website www.smartbags.co.uk
Leanne is one of the founders of Smartbags, suppliers of high-quality, bespoke promotional bags. We are passionate about the bags we supply as we know they can have a big impact with a little design and creativity. As well as our product website, we have also created the Bag Your Brand blog for information and tips on using branded bags.