With Independent Retailer Month (JULY) starting in just over 2 weeks, I wanted to share a full update to ensure all those retailers, groups of retailers and whole areas who are getting involved have access to all the information they need! This is quite a long one, but take the time to read through as there’s loads for you here!
Tell us about any events or activities you have planned for #IndieMonth
I’ve seen loads of people talking on twitter about the promotions, activities and events that they are planning to celebrate Indie Month (please use #IndieMonth if you are tweeting too, so we can spot the info and retweet you!) The problem is you aren’t telling us!! If you don’t email us details of your activities we can’t promote you. We have a whole page dedicated to promoting ALL events – see www.independentretailermonth.co.uk/events and we will be actively engaging consumer-facing press to alert them to all of the activities, nationally and locally. If you aren’t on the page then we can’t shout about you! Please take a look at the page and then email us details of what you are up to.
Also, if you would like us to post any press releases about your events as a blog, please email that to us entitled “Guest Blog for Indie Month” and we’ll start to get those published here as soon as we have the content…
Stuck for Ideas? Maybe we can help you – there’s still time to get involved!
- Speak to the local council or town team and see if they can help you to put something together to help promote the local indies throughout July – you don’t have to launch on 1st, you can do something later in the month!
- Speak to your brand suppliers – they might be able to help you with support for promotions that will attract customers and increase sales of their items through your stores throughout July (they might even be able to roll this out to ALL their other indie retail customers). Last year Dulux ran a promotion in all of their colour and advice centres, it worked so well they are running more promotions across all of their brands and ALL of their indies – so it works!
- Speak to any of the trade associations or buying groups you are a member of – see if they can help with ideas and support. Certainly ask them to get in touch with us if they’ve not come across us before so that we can provide them with information that they can share with all their members – the more people behind it, the better it will be for everyone!
- Speak to the local press and see if they will run a feature to encourage customers to the area. You can use the PR kit mentioned below…
You will also find materials for download on our website to help you make the most of the campaign. In particular see:
- Webinar recording introducing the campaign – https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/791490110
- A downloadable ideas guide – ideal for anyone thinking of taking part http://www.independentretailermonth.co.uk/resources/how%20to%20get%20the%20most%20out%20of%20independent%20retailer%20month.pdf
- Artwork for the 2013 campaign – Mentioned below (Free resources) you can download campaign artwork from our Dropbox folder – posters, thank-you cards, logos and the “I “heart” Indie Shops” window sticker – see https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrxx2tey7jms770/sqUMsHLUDA?lst
- The events page – www.independentretailermonth.co.uk/events. As mentioned above, tell us what’s going on in your area!
Don’t forget, it doesn’t matter if you are a single store, a small group or a whole town – if you want to get involved with Independent Retailer Month you are very welcome! If you need any further support, please contact us!
Press Release Template and Guidelines – to help you promote your activities
We also have been able to provide you with a fantastic press release template, complete with use guidelines, that has kindly been created by Chicken/Egg. Chicken/Egg are sponsoring the campaign by donating their time and expertise to help us, and all those involved, to promote the campaign to the media, locally and nationally, increasing consumer engagement and driving footfall to all those areas taking part.
You can download the template, which has very clear guidelines, as an editable word document via http://db.tt/yTeBRHyB
The guidelines give really fantastic advice about how to achieve coverage in the local media of your choice. However, if you’d rather get some extra PR support from the team at Chicken/Egg, they are offering preferential rates to all those who would like their help with Indie Month promotion. Email Karen@ChickenEgg.co.uk directly to find out more.
FREE resources – Window posters, thank-you cards etc…
If you visit www.independentretailermonth.co.uk/resources you’ll find a link to our Dropbox shared folder where you can access and download ALL of the resources – we have posters for both UK and Northern Ireland (with our respective local supporters represented on each) as well as thank-you cards for your customers, the press release template, an ideas sheet and all the branding for you to use as you see fit.
Please take advantage of these resources, and, should you want to create something bespoke for your town, then our designer, Sophie Boulton, is more than happy to help! Like Chicken/Egg she is also offering preferential rates to any indie month supporter who wants some specific promotional materials created. You can email her via email@example.com
Donate to the campaign, without it costing you a penny!
Did you know that you can help to finance the campaign by signing up, FREE, to O2 Priority moments? If you’ve not tried it yet, please do… When you do O2 will donate a cash sum to support the campaign on your behalf! As we’re unfunded, except what our sponsors give to us, this is really valuable to us.
All you have to do is:
- Visit https://www.o2priority.co.uk/local/ and register
- Create a “moment” *this could be any special offers you are running exclusively for Indie Month*
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that you’ve done it… and they will give us a cash sum as a thank you!
You do need to remember to tell us that you have done it as this is the only way we can “claim our reward”…
This campaign can’t keep going without some financial support. The beauty of this is that it’s a win-win – you get to try out a fab FREE marketing tool AND make a cash donation to the campaign without it costing you a penny!
Finally, this blog… www.independentretail.wordpress.com
As well as promoting your activities via the blog we’re also keen to celebrate independent retail by sharing your success stories throughout July. We want to spread all the good news you have (to counter all the negative news about high streets) and shout about it in order to boost the spirits of all indies. We also want to spread word about the great ideas and innovations you have to engage and retain customers, and hopefully this will inspire others to try similar initiatives too!
If you want to write a guest blog please email me – it should be about 500 words, plus a brief biog about you as the writer. It can also include a couple of images and should be focused on a positive message or valuable experience!
You can read a variety of guest posts and useful advice on this blog, including loads of helpful information from our sponsors – take a look around!
Phew – That’s it! I said it would be a long one, but I hope it proved useful. I look forward to hearing from you regarding your indie month activities very soon!